Criteria for Professor
Application of Knowledge
1. Regularly and consistently publishes (1 – 2 papers per year for at least 8 years) case reports/case series/quality improvement/clinical reviews/expert consensus statements evidence based guidelines/book chapters/invited editorials
A) Consistently as a primary author (first/second/last, or with explanation)
B) In peer-reviewed national/international professional journals.
2. Teaches a variety of learners (undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, peer, continuing or public education (including media interviews)).
3. Excellent role model and mentor for students and colleagues.
4. Regularly and consistently presents clinical observations at national/international meetings (platform or poster)
5. Very good to excellent evaluations of teaching/educational activities by learners, peers, and /or external agencies.
6. Substantial administrative contribution within the Maritime Provinces:
A) Contributions to clinical or related committees at affiliated health authorities and/or;
B) Contributions to Dalhousie University Committees.
7. Service to the community outside Dalhousie: (two or more of the following)
A) Organizes national/international clinical care meetings and/or symposia for one’s field.
B) Provides professional service and/or advocacy to the broader community.
C) Reviewer of clinical/practice-based papers of national/international clinical/scientific/practice-based journals.
D) Editorial board of national/international peer reviewed journal.
E) Leadership role in licensing, accreditation or practice standards development at the national/international level.
F) Member of a clinical trial data monitoring/patient safety committee.
G) Reviewer of grants of national/international granting agencies.
H) Other service to the community, with explanation of significance.
1. Develops and disseminates innovative and effective protocols or patient care services/pathways that are nationally recognized.
2. Book author/editor (other non-peer reviewed).
3. Invited lectureships and/or visiting professorships attributable to the individual’s reputation.
4. Recognized by a professional body for outstanding contributions in healthcare or a related field.
Transmission and Transformation of Knowledge
1. Regularly and consistently publishes (1 – 2 papers per year for at least 8 years) innovative educational research or methodology:
A) Consistently as a primary author (first/second/last, or with explanation).
B) In peer-reviewed national/international professional journals that are highly regarded in their respective fields.
2. Development of an innovative curriculum/program noted for its excellence as a learning environment by formal evaluation.
3. Regularly and consistently presents educational observations/research/program description at national/international meetings.
4. Teaches a variety of learners (undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, peer, continuing or public education (including media interviews)).
5. Consistently and effectively mentors others in the conduct of education related activities.
6. Receives grants with an education mandate.
7. Very good to excellent evaluations of teaching/educational activities by learners, peers, and/or external agencies.
8. Extended experience, by invitation, to present to a wide academic audience where the focus is on education (nationally or internationally) including undergraduate, postgraduate, graduate, continuing or public education.
9. Administrative teaching contribution within Dalhousie University.
10. Administrative teaching contribution with a national/international agency/organization.
1. Development of learning resources (e.g. textbooks, computer programs, etc.) which have been widely employed nationally or internationally.
2. Consistent productivity by directly supervised trainees (during and post-supervision).
3. Recipient of faculty, university or external teaching award.
4. Organizes national/international education meetings and/or symposia.
Discovery and Advancement of Knowledge
1. Publishes within the secondary literature: book author/editor/book chapters/invited editorials as a primary author in a recognized authoritative work.
2. Involvement in technology transfer, patents.
3. Consistent record of grants and/or awards received by directly supervised trainees (during and 5 years post supervision).
4. National research commendation from professional organizations.
Integration of Knowledge
1. Regularly and consistently publishes (1 – 2 papers per year for at least 8 years) in the peer-reviewed literature on administrative strategies/interventions, or program development.
2. Implements new strategies/governance within an existing organization that causes effective major change as confirmed by external review/assessment.
3. Consistently demonstrates effective leadership and administrative skills.
4. Regularly presents on administrative strategies/interventions, or program development at national/ international meetings.
5. Invited experience, by invitation to provide consultation or facilitation to other health care organizations, attributable to the individual’s reputation in the realm of integration.
6. Invited lectureships or visiting Professorships, attributable to the individual’s reputation in the realm of integration.
7. Substantial administrative contribution within department and/or faculty at Dalhousie University.
1. Teaches a variety of learners (undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, peer, continuing or public education (Including media interviews)).
2. Effectively mentors others in the realm of integration.
3. Innovates and/or implements new structures and programs to facilitate clinical, educational, or research activities (Organizes multidisciplinary/multicentre trials/institutes/programs/symposia).
4. Cited by a professional body inside/outside their primary field for contributions in the realm of integration.
5. Administrative contribution outside Dalhousie University / Maritime health care organizations. (One or more of the following):
A) Leadership role within a national professional body.
B) Membership within an international professional committee/organization.
C) Organizing committee of national/international administrative meetings.
D) Other administrative contribution, with explanation of significance.
For Faculty & Staff